Driver Approval

Fleet Services has an online system for checking motor vehicle records (MVR) items #5 and #7 of the vehicle operator policy. The online system allows each driver to log in and create their own profile providing a more secure way to gather the information required for Fleet Services to obtain a driving record on behalf of the University of Michigan. It also provides a way to share your driving status with a single or multiple delegate(s). The system requires authentication using your unique name and Kerberos password.

Once your motor vehicle record is processed, you and your selected delegate(s) will receive an e-mail notification regarding your driving status at U-M. In addition, an e-mail notification is sent to the operator for renewal once per year. Access the online system here.

For departments with a business need to check driving records prior to employment,  or those of contract employees or residents of Puerto Rico, please submit a Motor Vehicle Record Authorization form.

For questions about the Motor Vehicle Record system (MVR), please contact [email protected] 


Fleet vehicles fall into two different categories for parking on the Ann Arbor campus – Business and Service.

Business Vehicles are typically passenger-type vehicles, such as a sedans or minivans. Business vehicle may park in Business, Blue, Yellow or Orange parking spaces.

Service Vehicles are trucks which have a primary purpose supporting the maintenance and repair work for U-M buildings and grounds or the daily delivery of commodities, materials, or equipment. They may park in Service, Business, Blue, Yellow or Orange parking spaces.

Service vehicle designation for your fleet vehicle requires a special permit. To apply for service vehicle designation, complete the Service Vehicle Parking Permit application.

All fleet vehicles must be parked on U-M property (owned or leased) when not in use.

Any exception to the parking policy must be approved in advance by the Executive Director of LTP. To request an exception, submit a Vehicle Use Exception form.


Fuel for University vehicles is obtained at either of two on-campus service stations. The majority of University vehicles are equipped with an automated fuel system for easy use that tracks the vehicle number, approved fuel type, and current odometer reading.

Service Stations

Ross Athletic1213 Kipke DriveBy the loading docks
North3256 Baxter RoadAcross the street from Property Disposition

To access the campus fuel stations for department owned equipment or to dispense fuel in approved containers (gas cans), there is a two part process. First, complete a Fuel Device Application to request access for the equipment or container. Then, complete an Employee Fuel Access form to authorize the employee to use the device. If a fuel device is stolen or lost, you can request a replacement.

Fuel Rates

Fuel Type Current Cost per Gallon
Biodiesel $3.13
Unleaded $2.77


The Office of Risk Management insures all U-M vehicles with a zero $0.00 deductible. The Vehicle Ownership Identification (blue card) is the vehicle’s registration and proof of insurance. The card is found in the glove compartment of your fleet vehicle.


The driver of a U-M vehicle is responsible for all moving and parking violations incurred while operating the vehicle.


In the case of an accident or alleged accident, completion of a Drivers Report of Vehicle Damage or Public Incident is required. This is in addition to any reports filed by the U-M Police or any other police department. Submit your completed forms to Fleet Services within 48 hours of the incident. In the absence of a report, the full cost of the vehicle damage repair will be charged to the using department.

Fleet Services

1209 Kipke Drive
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2002
Monday - Friday 6:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Phone: +1 (734) 764-3427
Fax: +1 (734) 763-1470
E-mail: [email protected]