With the Central Power Plant Expansion project nearing completion later this year, a required equipment testing phase is anticipated to begin on July 19 and is expected to last until August 1. A number of protective measures are being put in place by the project team.
This activity involves closures of U-M sidewalks immediately adjacent to the Central Power Plant and along Palmer Drive, with signed detours. Palmer Drive will be controlled access for construction and deliveries only west of the Palmer Parking Structure’s east entry/exit.
Impacts to parking are described below and will be in place from 8pm July 18 – July 31:
- The ramp to Level 3 and Levels 3 and 4 of the structure will be closed to parkers.
- The structure’s west entry/exit that serves visitor parking will be closed, including pedestrian access.
- Visitors, along with permit parkers, will be required to use the structure’s east access.
- Attendants will be onsite (weekdays) and visitors will be charged a daily rate of $10 to park (the $10 rate applies to all users and department QR codes will not be accepted during this time frame).
- Permit parkers, with required permits, will not be charged for parking.
- The east side of the Plaza Level will be closed to parkers.
- The structure’s east entry/exit at Palmer Drive will be closed, including pedestrian access.
- Parkers with system card access should use Palmer or Thayer Structures as alternatives during this time frame.
Please note that with pedestrian access closed at the west end of Palmer Drive for both parking structures, pedestrians will need to either use the east end of Palmer Drive or elevators to/from the plaza level.
Thank you for your patience and cooperation.